Some travelers wouldn’t even consider booking their stay in NYC without first checking out the quality of the on-site gym. (And then there are those of us who could give or take a workout while on holiday.) But both of those guests will be more than happy to discover that many New York City hotels have elevated the gym experience to new heights, with personal trainers, on-site spas and even complimentary sneakers among the many features that just may make the laziest among us want to take up working out!
- Le Parker Meridien not only features both racquetball and basketball courts, the Central Park hotel also offers two on-staff pros who can help you take your game to the next level. Afterwards, swim a few laps in the pool, work out on the machines, or make use of Gravity Gym’s virtual-coaching program Fitlinxx. And with hours that suit a busy NYC lifestyle (5 a.m. to 11 p.m., Monday-Friday, and 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekend), you can be sure to a workout at Gravity into your day.
- The Affinia Dumont not only makes it easy to keep up with your daily fitness routine, it even encourages you to get active while enjoying your New York stay. The second floor gym is open 24 hours, and comes fully equipped with weights, cardio equipment and even a day spa. Reward yourself post-workout with a luxurious scrubs, or relaxing massage. And if working out in the gym is not your style, request one of the Affinia Dumont hotel’s “experience kits,” which include a Walking Tour Kit complete with guidebook, pedometer, and iPod Shuffle, and the StayFit Kit with yoga mat, weights, and a towel for in-room workout. Or ask to borrow one of the Affinia’s Republic bikes, available by the hour to guests.
- SWEAT Fitness Center at the W Hotel in Union Square not only features advanced training equipment, including Precor treadmills, elliptical, stationary bike, universal gym, stair climbing and multi-station strengthening machines, this 24-hour gym also offers both private and semi-private fitness instruction and personal training. Choose from yoga, Pilates or boxing and kickboxing. The W Hotel’s “Bod Squad” is even trained in pre- and post-natal personal training and yoga, so new and expectant moms don’t have to forgo their fitness for fear of injury.
- At the Millenium Hilton Hotel you can turn off your treadmill’s TV and let the view inspire you instead. Located in the Financial District, the Millenium Hilton offers spectacular views of Lower Manhattan from its fitness center. Follow up your workout with an invigorating swim in the Millenium Hilton’s heated indoor pool — a rarity among Manhattan hotels.
- With a name like New York Palace, you would guess this hotel has everything discerning travelers could want — including a world class gym. Overlooking the landmark St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Midtown Manhattan, the fitness center at the New York Palace features LifeFitness cardio machines and Cybex weight machines. Forgot your workout gear at home? You’ve got no excuses at the New York Palace, where hotel guests can borrow complimentary exercise clothing and cross-training sneakers. It will all be worth it when you hit the Eucalyptus-scented steam room afterward.
- And for those guests who need a little more motivation to move their bodies, the Westin New York Times Square even offers Nintendo Wii ™ games like Wii Fit ™ and Wii Sports ™ in addition to its state-of-the-art WestinWORKOUT gym with Hudson River views. (No wonder it was name one of the healthiest hotels in America by Health magazine).
- Still, you might want to just consider a walk in Central Park for some exercising and sightseeing. Also, the Bike and Roll – Inside Central Park Tour is a great way to get your exercise for the day and enjoy New York’s finest attraction.
So what’s your favorite hotel gym? Comment to add it to our list!